Saturday, July 25, 2009

Climb on

I have never been athletic. I was in figure skating up until I was 11 and I sucked at it. I was really really bad, and bless my mom’s heart, she really wanted to believe that I was going to be great.

But I wasn’t.

I was a decent swimmer. I was really good at the breaststroke (insert obvious joke here).

But I remember the first time P3 took me climbing, I was totally amazed by it.

I wasn’t super good at it, but that sense of accomplishment when I finished my first route, well that kind of exhilaration was awesome.

So I went a few more times, I bought some gear and I thought, I could totally do this a few times a month.

I had no idea it would become a multiple-times-a-week things.

I haven’t been that committed to anything before.

You see, the thing about it is, I have a really busy head. I find it hard to just stop. Stop my mind from running and turn everything off. But when I’m climbing, well, it’s the only time in my day that my mind is fully focused on the task in front of me.

My adult-onset ADD doesn’t take over and everything thing in me is focused. And if it isn’t, well, I fall. And that sucks.

I have been climbing outside, but I kinda only trusted P3 enough to climb outdoors with. I mean, I am putting my life in someone else’s hands, I have to trust them 100% right? I did love it though.

And it gave me an excuse to get to Squamish, which is always nice.

No comments: