Friday, December 28, 2007

How Cliche

Ok all, here is my review of 2007. Not music, not movies, not books, not even TV, just me. Boring old me recounting the highs and lows of 2007.

I give you permission to browse away from this blog now.

JANUARY
An heart-breaking month. I had to finally give-up on New York City, leave the great apartment I found and return to Edmonton. My birthday was spent flying and crying. How sad is that? When I got back to Edmonton, I remembered why I love it so – my friends.

FEBRUARY
As the effects of going from NYC to Edmonton started to really hit me, I became bored with my job and my life. It is difficult to appreciate the things you have when you long for the things you have lost.

MARCH
A brutal job interview – that I didn’t get. A great trip with a dear friend and a lot of shopping to go with it.

APRIL

I fell for a boy. A boy that changed what I thought I wanted in a person and helped me really care for a person for the first time in a while. It is rare to find something and someone like that. God do I love those butterflies you get when you start seeing someone. Magical. Oh and I was published. Twice.

MAY

So in love. May was spent traveling around the country following the boy. One of the best trips was to Regina, I enjoyed doing nothing but smoking, drinking and harassing Legislative pages. What more could a girl want? I also got a great roommate in May. I loved living with Big Daddy this summer, it was fun and not annoying at all. Saw Feist and The Killers.

JUNE
Why is that the fear of something is often worse than the reality of it? June was spent traveling from coast-to-coast, Vancouver to Halifax in a week. First to visit the boy and then to watch an old friend get married. The middle of June was difficult to say the least, as this was my first visit of the summer to the hospital. Four days in hospital, what is worse than that? Oh, the boy seeing me in my hospital gown, that is what. Also bought the greatest game of all time. It helped shape my summer, and the summers of Big Daddy and P3. So many night spent playing on my balcony and in the living room. Many curse words said and a few feelings hurt, but I still want wheat for ore.

JULY
Another hospital visit and another trip to Vancouver, but this time we drove back to Edmonton. Beautiful. Not having full control of your body can really ruin a month. The boy was a wonderful support system, giving me an outlet I refused to burden my friends with. There are some things you can’t ask for, but when they are given to you, wow.

AUGUST
Camping for the first time, which was surprisingly fun. Whoda thunk it? I also made a decision to put myself out there career-wise. I gave my resignation to the hotel and decided to have ‘the fear’. Oh I got the fear, that is for sure.

SEPTEMBER
Went out east to meet the boy’s grandma and extended family. What an honor it is for someone to think you are special enough to meet important people. I have never had anyone think I was that special. We also went to Montreal to visit Harp and Big Daddy. Oh yeah, I finally got a job and I moved. Wow, September was kinda a big deal.

OCTOBER
Settled into my new life and had a hard time doing it. How does someone go from having the greatest people in the world, just a phone call away to having only one person to talk to? Not very well. I lost myself in October. I didn’t do the things I like doing, having the life I like having and being the person it took me so long to like. I keep on chalking it up to the various changes in my life, but really, the burden is solely on me for not trying harder to be the things I wanted to be. My bad.

NOVEMBER
Fell in love with my job. The work, the people, the whole thing is great. I couldn’t have asked for a better job and feel vindicated for holding out for so long. Take that dad. Visited Edmonton and became very sad. Went to Whistler and didn’t ski. Saw M.I.A. Holla!

DECEMBER
How things change. My first real break-up with a boy that I care about. Really, the first boy I have ever cared about. How can a person be so wrong about a situation, thinking you are going to spend a significant about of time with a person, to not being able to spend anymore time with them? It makes me wonder, where did the awesome go? Because it was awesome. More awesome than anything I have experienced before.

And that is my year in review.

I stole this idea from Sarah, who told me about a lady who wrote about her 23 year marriage with a paragraph for every year. I cannot imagine being concise enough to do something like that. Or having that good of a memory for that matter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nothing else happened in august?

so disapointed