Friday, September 08, 2006

The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret - Queens of the Stone Age

I am not sure if you guys are aware of this, but I am incredibly shy. I have a problem making friends because far too often, I come off as snobby, when in reality, I am just shy. I don't like to waste my time talking to people, unless I have something to add to a conversation. I hate small talk and I hate responding to questions I know people don't care about the answer to. This being said, I think this is something I am going to have to get over. I have transplanted myself to a new city and unfortunately, small talk is a necessary evil.

Last night I went to a sports bar around the corner from my house. I cannot tell a lie. I was thinking I was going to talk to some people. You know, girl alone, at the bar, watching the game, drinking beer. All the makings of an easy talking. The first quarter and a half went by and nothing! WHAT! This is weird. So I continue to sit and watch the game and finally the guy next to me starts talking to me. Nice guy, there with a group of his buddies, all seemingly average nice guys.

We continue to watch the game and talk football. The joys of knowing something about the sport is that you can hold your own in a convo. I am not saying I know as much as say ... Tej, but I do ok. I have often thought of my love of sports to be detrimental to my getting men. Sure they like that I watch sports, but they immediately put me in the friend category. The great thing about the guys last night was that I wouldn't even want to date any of them! No seriously, none of them were dateable. Which is great, because that means I can just hang out.

Long story short, they invited me to watch football with them on Sunday. I might be able to make friends after all! YAY!

I'll drink to that!

i

1 comment:

Ronnie A said...

I think you will be changing your tune when you meet their large, slightly darker friend who wants to find a girl who challenges him and isn't just some dumb chick. Piece of advice; play hard to get. Guys love girls that absolutely show no interest in them. God, I should have my own talk show.